Search engines persistently collect information on the zillions of web pages and websites out there, to provide effective response to search queries. This arduous task of the “information collector” is often done by search engine spiders or crawlers.
How does a Spider work?
Spiders crawl over websites, reading through the content, hyperlinks, Meta tags (specially formatted keywords in web pages) to get easily sighted by crawlers, and the code. It then formulates a profile of the webpage for the search engine. Spider also collects added data from the hyperlinks on web pages.
The Google Spider, called the Googlebot, is the most popular search engine Spider. Googlebot, works on an algorithm, which decides the sites to crawl, the frequency of the crawl and the number of pages to be indexed from each site. Googlebot accesses sites once in every few seconds.
How to increase Google crawl rates?
Website crawling is very important for SEOs in order to index vital web pages on Google and other search engines. Only indexed pages are included in Search Engine Result Pages (SERP). Here are few effective tips to enhance Google visibility of your website.
- Constant Updates: Crawl rates are low for inert websites. So, update your web content regularly, as this will attract bots more frequently. Updates can be in the form of blogs or even videos or audio strips. Moreover, the content should be informative and valuable. Insert keywords wherever possible as this will help spiders to sieve and link your website to client searches.
- Ditch Plagiarised Content Completely: Plagiarised content lowers Googlebot rates as it can easily detect copied information and can even get you a Google ban. Cross check web pages for duplicate content.
- Opt for Good Servers: Upload your website on servers with fair uptime. Googlebots lower crawl rates on servers with high downtime and as such you will find your web pages are indexed lot slower.
- Register Your Site with Popular Online Directories: Listing in online directories is a great way to get sighted by Googlebots. DMoz and Technorati are two most popular online directories. Dmoz, in fact, has higher trust levels with Google for the valuable listings it contains. Directories work best in enhancing web visibility.
- Give Titles to Images: Having striking images on websites can indeed work up some magic. But it is important to label these images as Spiders can’t read them. Use alt-text to provide brief outlines for images used in web pages. This will help Googlebot to read your web pages better.
- Hook Your Website to Social Media: Googlebots work faster with links. Create profiles for your website on social media or even link your websites to your existing profiles, as effective linking increases crawl rates. You can even interlink your old posts with your new ones between web pages.
We at Creative Ideaz can help you garner the cutting edge in digital marketing with our expert knowledge and best skills. Talk to our experts to know more or call our team at 0845 094 2153.