Social media is a very important tool used by brands in engaging with their target audience. How deftly you use it will make a big impact on your marketing strategy and efforts.
Here are 10 pointers on what you should focus on to avoid making mistakes –
1. No strategy, no go – Social media marketing is not merely being present on FB or Twitter. Don’t start without a plan, which details content, the tone, style, posting schedule, frequency, platforms. It also helps to have a review mechanism in place.
2. Don’t crowd all the platforms – Research shows that the top 3 most focussed social media networks by marketers are LinkedIn (91%), Twitter (85%), and Facebook (81%). It is tempting to be create accounts across every social media platform like FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Digg, Pinterest and more. But it is advisable to shortlist a few on the basis of your customer demographic profile and the kind of product/service you are offering.
3. Buying followers is not cool – In a game of numbers, it is great to show ‘x’ number of followers. ‘Likes’ may be a good validation of your brand, but when other metrics like engagement do not match up, then the amount of money spent in buying paid followers is not justified. It may actually hurt your brand.
4. Isolating your social media activities – Social media activities should be well tied up with the rest of the marketing elements, like the company website, blog, product collateral, e-newsletters, mail campaigns, etc. This aids in engagement as well as developing positive associations with the brand.
5. Too much of “me-me” – Beware of overselling or talking only about yourself and focus on sharing relevant content. The 5-3-2 Model for Social Sharing is a good one to follow. This states that if you are posting 10 times in a week:
• 5 posts should be related content from others
• 3 posts could be content by you but not an overtly selling pitch
• 2 posts of personal content that humanises your brand
6. Skipping the hashtags – Hashtags help in creating visibility on what your brand has to offer. Monitor trending hashtags or create your own. Always use a hashtag that has a specific message and which is interesting, engaging and relevant to your target audience.
7. Spamming – Beware of oversharing, or publishing multiple posts within minutes or hours. You are in danger of being muted or unfollowed. Businesses should consider using scheduling tools like Hootsuite, Buffer, etc. to space out tweets and posts for optimal sharing.
8. Not engaging with the audience – Actively manage your social media accounts by being responsive in replying to comments, thanking followers for retweets and engaging with influencers. Also equally important is dealing positively with negative comments and feedback. Ignoring this can impact your credibility with your followers.
9. Not focussing on content quality – The content that you send out should be consistent with your mission statement and branding. Always check content for grammar and spelling. Great content in form and style helps create a positive impression.
10. Failing to measure impact – Companies should analyse and measure their social media marketing efforts, using metrics relevant for them. Reach, engagement stats, follower count, lead generation results – let numbers speak for themselves. This can help you fine tune your strategy.
It is important to focus on each of these points and avoid making mistakes in executing your social media strategy. Have you made any social media marketing mistakes which you learnt from? You could even share you success story with us.
The most important thing to me was the friendliness and sincerity. Although I knew nothing, I was never patronised nor left feeling incompetent. Kirien is very good at tailoring the information required to the client and taking his time with any misunderstandings one might have. Doesn't rush and nothing is too much trouble. Plus I can only listen to someone I perceive as genuine - this is why I went to Kirien.Blue Lantern Nursing
Having used Creative Ideaz for our original website several years ago, I was more than happy to retain their services when our website needed a revamp. The quote we were given was excellent value and the service we received, from the initial meeting and through the planning process with Kurt into the website design and development was faultless. The finished product is exactly what we were looking for, it is clear that Creative Ideaz really know what website users are looking for.
I would certainly recommend for anyone looking for a great quality website for excellent value for money and superb customer service.BCOP
I would like to thank Creative Ideaz and in particular Kurt for guiding me through the process for my new website, they made it very simple and smooth. I would highly recommend the whole team and would definitely use them again.DanceMax
Just wanted to say thank you to Kurt and the team at Creative Ideaz for the website. Excellent job, professional service, and very quick at attending to the changes we needed done. We are very pleased with the website! Would recommend to anyone looking a professional website.
Thanks againUberfone Ltd
We came to Creative Ideaz with our vision and they worked endlessly to make this happen. This resulted in a great website and a continued relationship with their team.Merridale Furnishers
I would highly recommend Creative Ideaz. I found them totally approachable, helpful and outstanding with support. Highly delighted with the fantastic website created for us, putting me at ease with the latest technology. A company who certainly listens to their clients.Brewers UK
Thank you Creative Ideaz for your expertise when putting together our MCM website. This is our first website and it's stimulated the campaign to raise our brand awareness and promote our products.
Creative Ideaz's advice and assistance throughout the process has been invaluable. Your experience and dedicated staff helped us to cover all the points that are necessary to have a quality website. Your standard of work is above what we've previously sampled and you are all extremely efficient. We have recently set up a new divisional arm to MCM and we will have no hesitation in using Creative Ideaz as our preferred web design supplier for this next project.MCM Ltd
Creative Ideaz helped to set up our online shop website and have gone on to manage our marketing campaign, including Search Engine Optimisation. Not only has this resulted in a first page ranking on Google and an increase in sales, but we have also established a strong ongoing relationship with Creative which I hope will continue for many years to come.My Geex
Creative Ideaz have recently helped to revamp our website and have really made a huge difference, helping us to bring our online presence forward leaps and bounds. We would definitely recommend Creative Ideaz to anyone looking for excellent customer service and a great website.Cumbria Park Hotel
TabTime Ltd moved their IT/website business to Creative Ideaz around 5 years ago and are very pleased that we did. The service we get for major or minor changes and requests is quick and efficient, and their charges even when compared to the offers from India and the far east are very competitive. The Creative Ideaz Website Optimisation department is always willing to offer advice and discuss changes and we appear in the first 1-2 pages for all our Keywords on Google UK. Yes, we would recommend Creative Ideaz to anyone or any company looking for a new and reliable web and email companyTab Time
I am very satisfied with the website design service provided by Creative Ideaz and would like to thank them and Kurt for all the hard work. They incorporated everything we wanted to see in our website better than we could have imagined and followed through from planning to development flawlessly. We are aiming to add more features as our business grows and will be returning to Creative Ideaz to help bring our ideas to life once again. Very pleased with the outcome and I recommend them highly!Incore Umbrella
It has been a pleasure working with Kurt and the team at Creative Ideaz. Professional and dedicated to fulfilling our requirements at all times, they listened to and worked with us, provided us with daily progression updates and they have created exactly what we wanted, a new look, smart, fully responsive website.
We would highly recommend Creative Ideaz to anyone looking for creative website design and we would not hesitate to use their services in the future.Walsall Society for the Blind
In a few words, they just get it. We wanted to grow our business and Creative Ideaz knew how to do it and we have seen great results.Footprints Footwear
We wanted our social media pages to help increase our brand value and improve sales. Since Creative Ideaz handled our account, we have seen this happen.Alt Noir